Hey man, Its here, the thing we all been waiting for: XTA...
Just download the file (1.43Mb) and unzip it in your TA-directory...
This file replaces the rev31.gp3 file in your Total Annihilation
folder. Back up the original (its 5.22 meg) before installing
XTA 0.8 was made in the spring of 99 and i write this readme
several months later, so I might have forgotten some things.
There is a new and better version of XTA in developement
with more bug fixes and modifications. Stay tuned to http://www.clan-sy.com/
This file contains bug fixes and game modifications that aim
to provide a better and more diverse game play while keepig
as much of the TA feeling as possible.
This mod includes most of the bug fixes of Switecks TA bugfix
1.0 as well as bug fixes of my own and also includes Switecks
non cheating AI in a somewhat modified state. I suggest
you get a cheating AI if you play skirmish a lot.
These bug fixes are things as:
- Pelicans are hittable by missiles
- Core adv con kbot can build and guard properly
- Gimp and warrior will use both weapons when fighting.
- Other smaller things.
There are also game data modifications: most notable are such
- Doomsday machine shoots blue laser a bit longer + have faster turret turn rate on the blue laser turret.
- Big Bertha and Intimidiator has 33% less range and 66% less firepower.
They still have plenty of power left, but this decreases the power of BB racing, a common occurrence on smaller maps.
- Increased movement speed on units such as The Can, Gimp, Sumo, Penetrator and Panther.
- The Penetrator is well worth 2600 metal and 35K BT, it has 3000+ hp and faster turret turn rate.
- Mine layers have several types of mines that are worth building and move faster.
- Energy and Metal Storage stores a lot more.
- Missile frigates have got firepower and hitpoints suitable for their cost.
They were very underpowered before.
- Subs move faster
- The turret turn rates on heavy tanks are higher.
- Mobile artillery and lugers are not inaccurate.
- Decoy commanders build as fast as real commanders.
- The build range on all con units has been increased.
This makes guarding other con units or factories easier.
- Neutron and Stunner missiles have higher speed and does less damage over a larger area.
- Moho mines are cheaper but have longer build time.
- There are more tweaks but these are the most important.
If you wish to play a multiplayer game using this file,
then all players need it. If you are the host, you can find
out if the other player has XTA 0.8 installed by selecting
a special indicator map. This map is called Small_Fields
Extended TA 0,8. If you get the message "Blahblah does not
have this map" then that player does not have XTA 0,8 installed.
Small Fields was made by Jerry Orman and is quite playable
considering that it is 3x3 (Dark Side, the smallest TA map